Table of Contents
Professional Flea Pest Control In Baltimore Maryland
People who do not own pets believe their properties are 100 percent safe from fleas and ticks. This theory could not be further from the truth because fleas do not discriminate between properties or homes. In fact, the flea and ticket target all homes with or without pets.
Unlike many insect species, the flea has been associated with diseases like Murine typhus, parasitic dermatitis, plague, Mycoplasma haemofelis, Cat Scratch Illness “CSD,” and iron deficiency anemia. Fleas have also been associated with tapeworms, which are rare but still a possibility.
Most Common Flea Species In Baltimore, Maryland
The cat flea “Ctenocephalides felis” is the most common flea species reported in Baltimore. If you are under the impression your canines, rabbits, or ferrets are not a target, you better think again. The cat flea targets the same mammals as other flea species. Reports show the deer, fox, skunk, opossum, canine, cat, ferret, and squirrel have been infested with cat fleas.
The flea’s flat body makes it possible to avoid capture from human fingers and the victim’s paws and teeth.
Flea Bite Characteristics
The flea bite is not much different than other insect bites. The onset of symptoms is generally a pinpoint-sized red spot with mild edema and itching. In some cases, the bite will be accompanied by a pustule.
Animal flea infestations can result in a condition known as “flea allergy dermatitis.” This condition is related to an allergic reaction due to the flea’s saliva. The flea utilizes its feeding tube to access blood meals. While the insect prefers blood from animals, when it comes to surviving, human blood will suffice.
What Precautions Can I Take To Keep My Animals, Family, And Home Safe From Fleas?
We believe it is possible to prevent flea infestations with deterrents. Flea deterrent products, such as an anti-parasitic collar, shampoo, or drops, work great. If you prefer natural flea deterrents, you may want to try cedar oil, Diatomaceous earth, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, basil, and eucalyptus.
We also recommend the following tips to jumpstart your flea prevention effort:
- Do not adopt a cat or dog until you are fully ready to take full responsibility
- Develop a regimen utilizing anti-flea products, such as collars, powders, sprays, and drops
- Keep grass mowed to manage ground floor humidity to deter fleas from targeting your property
- Post “Do Not Feed The Wildlife” signs at the perimeter of your property
- Discourage family and neighbors from feeding flea-infested wildlife, such as deer, squirrels, rodents, and some bird species
- Develop a cleaning schedule for your pet’s living quarters
- Regularly inspect your pet’s living quarters and bedding, looking for signs of an infestation like “flea dirt”
- Vacuum your entire home to remove potential life fleas, larvae, and eggs to fight against a full-blown infestation
Flea infestations are extremely difficult to eradicate without the proper tools, skills, patience, and time, all of which many Baltimore residents do not have. We are here to help you protect your pets, family, and property from the resilient flea.